Short Term Rental Property Proposed Draft
10. The Village Board finds that short-term residential rental activities constitutes a business activity, which impacts upon the public health, safety and general welfare of the people of the Village. The use of single and multi-family dwelling units for vacation rental lodging purposes provides visitors an alternative to standard lodging, however, such uses in residential neighborhoods may have negative effects on the character and stability of such neighborhoods. This law is enacted pursuant to Municipal Home Rule Law § 10. The purpose of this article is to establish regulations for the use of short-term residential rentals in order to protect the public health, safety, and general welfare of the people of the Village and to further achieve the following beneficial purposes:
(1) The protection of the character and stability of residential areas;
(2) The correction and prevention of housing conditions that adversely affect or are likely to adversely affect the life, safety, general welfare and health, including the physical, mental and social well-being of persons occupying dwellings; and
(3) The preservation of the value of land and buildings throughout the Village.
- This article is not intended to regulate hotels, motels, inns, bed-and-breakfast establishments and rooming houses. Residential units rented on a month-to-month basis or annual basis, pursuant to a valid lease agreement, are also excluded.